Fun Facts from the 60s
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane
West Side Story
Lawrence of Arabia
The Miracle Worker
To Kill a Mockingbird
Top Record Singles
Big Girls Don't Cry (The Four Seasons)
Duke of Earl (Gene Chandler)
Good Luck Charm (Elvis Presley)
Hey! Baby (Bruce Channel)
I Can't Stop Loving You (Ray Charles)
Peppermint Twist (Joey Dee & The Starliters)
Roses are Red (Bobby Vinton)
Sheila (Tommy Roe)
Sherry (The Four Seasons)
Soldier Boy (The Shirelles)
Popular Television Shows
The Beverly Hillbillies debuts
ABC aires its 1st color TV series The Jetsons
McHales Navy debuts
Match Game debuts
Johnny Carson hosts his first Tonight Show. He hosted until 1992 with a total of 4531 episodes|
The Andy Williams Show aires
The Dick Van Dyke Show is on
My Three Sons is on
Mr. Ed is onThe Jack Paar Show ends
Tell it to Groucho ends
The Alfred Hitchcock Show ends
Father Knows Best ends
The Lucy Show premieres
Osmond brothers debut on the Andy Williams show
Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons
- John H. Glenn, Jr., becomes first American to orbit the earth during Friendship 7 orbit.
- United States President is John F. Kennedy.
- Cuban Missile Crisis: USSR plans to deploy Missiles in Cuba brings the world to the brink of world war; the US blockades Cuba and the USSR agrees to dismantle Soviet silos.
- First US rocket Ranger IV lands on the moon.
- First Wal-Mart discount store is opened by by Sam Walton in Bentonville Arkansas.
- Eleanor Roosevelt died.
- Medium family income was $6,000 per year.
- Minimum hourly wage $1.25.
- 90% of Americans own a television set; ABC begins broadcasting in color.
- Two new dances: The Mashed Potato and the Watusi.
- Rioting on University of Mississippi campus when James Meredith, a black student, attempts to enroll; riot ends when federal troops and U.S. marshals take control.
- Polaroid introduces color film prints which develop in 60 seconds.
- Oral Polio Vaccine developed by Albert Sabin given to millions of children to combat Polio.
- The Academy award for Best Picture goes to "Lawrence of Arabia." Gregory Peck wins for Best Actor in "To Kill a Mockingbird" and best actress goes to Anne Bancroft for "The Miracle Worker."
- First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy gives "A Tour of the White House" via television. Over 46 million people tune in.
- JFK announces US will resume above ground nuclear testing.
- By a vote of 6 to 1, the US Supreme Court bans prayer in public schools.
- Marilyn Monroe is found dead on August 5th after apparently overdosing on sleeping pills.
- The first Kmart department store opens in Garden City, Michigan.
- Beatles Turned Down By Decca Records.
- Release of first Beatles recording: the single "Love Me Do".
- Andy Warhol's famous painting of a can of soup.
- 12 European countries form European Space Agency.
- Telstar relays the first live trans-Atlantic television signal.
- US Airforce investigates using lasers to intercept missiles.
- Britain and France agree to develop the Concorde.
- The first use of silicone breast implants by Houston plastic surgeons.
What Things Cost
Gallon of Gas
Pack of Chewing Gum
Ice Cream Bar
1st Class Postage Stamp
Color TV Set
Doctors Office visit
Popcorn at the Movies
45 rmp Record
$.99 on iTunes
Fast Food Hamburger
$1.00 (off the dollar menu!)
Tuition to Harvard University
$34,976 plus room and board