Veterans Can Connect to Resources at Tri-County’s Hearts for Heroes EventRead More
EKG Technician Certificate
This QuickJobs program is a WIA-eligible training program.
Electrocardiogram (EKG) Technicians are responsible for performing electrocardiogram tests in hospitals and physician offices. These tests are used to monitor and record electrical impulses transmitted by the heart. This course provides the student with instructions for collecting information and data about a patient's heart using electrocardiography. Topics include: medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, CPR for the health care professional, identifying heart rhythms, operation of a 12-lead electrocardiograph machine, treadmill stress tests and use of a Holter monitor, legal and professional aspects of patient contact.
This course assists students in preparation to take one of the national credentialing examinations, such as ASPT-EKG Technician or the certified ECG Technician exam through the National Healthcareer Association ($105).
Describe terms, prefixes and suffixes associated with medical terminology of the body systems.
- Describe the role and responsibilities of the EKG Technician.
- Recognize normal and abnormal patterns in the EKG leads.
- Demonstrate how to prepare a patient for EKG testing.
- Perform the proper procedures for applying a Holter monitor.
Entry Requirements/What to Expect
45 hours of classroom study and 40 hours of clinical experience required.
See current schedule for dates and times.
*Note: Two additional courses must be completed to obtain the EKG Certificate prior to taking the EKG course itself.
- Must be 18 years of age
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Present a negative TB test result prior to clinical
- Sign Student Code of Conduct and Statement of Understanding first night of class
- Proof of completion of Medical Terminology and CPR or professional healthcare credential (CMA, LPN, RN, CPBT, RT, etc.) *
- Proof of completion of Health Systems & Professionalism
Orientation: Check on this date WHEN you register! It will provide you with valuable information.
Health Status Documentation
All students must have a current PPD, and provide MMR, Hepatitis B vaccination verification and other required documentation as required by clinical sites: The following may be required: PRE background check and/or drug screen.
For more information, call (864) 646-1700 or toll free 866-269-5677, Ext 1700
(within the 864 area code) or e-mail email@example.com