Veterinary Technology Adoption Day Is July 21Read More
Asphalt Roadway Technician
The Asphalt Roadway Technician (ART) Course is intended to assure competency in proper testing procedures and everyday field tasks. Individuals who complete this course will be certified to perform Asphalt Roadway Technician duties on SCDOT projects. The participants are required to perform mathematical problems that occur while working as a roadway technician. The learning experience is dependent on the level of prior experience and may differ between participants. However, the goal is the same: to establish a consistent understanding of roadway inspection. The instructors for the course are made up of knowledgeable asphalt industry consultants, equipment manufacturers, academia, contractors and SCDOT representatives.
Participants are required to attend a two-and-a-half (2 ½) day course and pass a written exam with a score of 80% or higher to become certified. The exam is open notes and open book. Topics covered include:
- Responsibilities of an ART
- Materials Overview
- Equipment Overview
- Plant Operations and Mix Design Overview
- Paving Preparation
- Mix Placement
- Mix Compaction
- Density and Control Strips
- SCDOT Specifications
- SCDOT Testing Procedures
- Industry-Specific Math Problems:
- Tack Rate
- Asphalt Mix Rate
- Control Strips
- Core Locations
- Nuclear Gauge Shot Locations
- Pavement Slope
Entry Requirements/What to Expect:
Prerequisites for All Participants
- Experience form signed by either a certified HMA Level 3 QC Manager or a certified Asphalt Roadway Technician confirming:
- EITHER 6 months of related experience in asphalt roadway construction
- OR successful completion of the Pre-Highway Construction Inspector/Testing Technician: Asphalt Roadway and Earthwork training course (offered through Tri-County Technical CCE Division) plus 1 month of related work experience.
- NOTE: In the case of successful completion of the Pre-Highway Construction Inspector course, participants will be allowed to attempt certification as part of that course without attending a separate certification course.
Additional Prerequisites for SCDOT Participants Only:
- Nuclear Gauge certification
- SCDOT Math certification (For more information, contact Mr. Aly Hussein at 803-737-6687 or see the SCDOT Technician Certification Policy.)
There are now two options available for re-certification as an Asphalt Roadway Technician.
- Exam only
- Attend full Asphalt Roadway Technician course
Exam Only Option
Individuals who pass the written exam with a score of 80% or higher will be re-certified to perform Asphalt Roadway Technician duties on SCDOT projects for a period of three years. No re-test option is available for individuals who do not pass the written exam. If an individual does not pass the written exam, that individual must attend a full Asphalt Roadway Technician course in order to attempt certification again.
Full Course Option
Individuals who complete the two-and-a-half (2½) day course and pass the written exam with a score of 80% or higher will be re-certified to perform Asphalt Roadway Technician duties on SCDOT projects for a period of five years. If an individual does not pass the written exam but scores at least 60% or higher, one re-test attempt is allowed for an additional fee. In that individual does not pass the written exam during the re-test attempt, the individual must attend another full Asphalt Roadway Technician course in order to attempt certification again.
Frequency of Re-certification:
The certification period is three years with the exam only option and five years when taking the full course. It is the responsibility of the individual to keep track of his/her certification expiration date. The individual is also responsible for registering for the re-certification exam or course, attending the re-certification exam or course, and passing the written exam with a score of 80% or higher.
For more information, call (864) 646-1700 or toll free 866-269-5677, Ext 1700
(within the 864 area code) or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
For additional class offerings, visit our full course listing and schedule of classes