Tctc Vertical Top Nav Logo
Skip to Footer Section

Tri-County Technical College determines residency based on South Carolina law and Commission on Higher Education regulations.

Residency at Tri-County Technical College is an essential part of tuition assessment. Initial determination of one's resident status is made at the time of admission. The determination made at that time, and any determination made thereafter, prevails for each subsequent semester/term until information becomes available that would impact the existing residency status.

The burden of proof rests with the student to show evidence as deemed necessary to establish and maintain her/his residency status. Questions regarding residency should be directed to the Residency Officer, Pendleton Campus, Ruby Hicks, First Floor. Students who falsify residential information will be charged the appropriate tuition rate, plus interest at a rate of 8% per annum, plus a penalty amounting to 25% of the out-of-state rate for one semester.

Students are required to pay out-of-state tuition if they are not legal residents of the state of South Carolina.

For questions regarding your residency status at TCTC, please submit a Clarification of Residency Status request.

Note: Establishing residency at a university or college other than Tri-County Technical College does not guarantee the same residency classification at the College.

(Legal residence status is determined by regulations issued under S.C. Code of Laws, 1976, Titles 59-112-10 through 59-112-100.)

Out-of-State to In-State Requirements

In order for residency status to be evaluated before the tuition due date, the residency packet must be submitted to the Residency Officer (Ruby Hicks, First Floor, Pendleton Campus) no later than the residency priority date (as indicated on the Enrollment and Academic Calendar). Residency packets will be considered after the priority deadline through the last day of drop for Session A for the term in which the student is attempting to qualify for in-state tuition. However, the student must pay out-of-state tuition prior to the tuition due date. If in-state residency is then granted, the student will receive a refund of the tuition difference.

In addition to the residency application, copies of the following documents must be included in the residency packet. NOTE: if applying as a dependent of a South Carolina resident, the following documents must also be submitted from the person claiming the student as a dependent.

  • Lease, rental agreement, or closing documents.

  • Most recently filed Federal and State income tax returns. If filing as independent and under age 24, most recently filed federal income tax return for parent or guardian is also required.

  • Documentation of all sources of income.

  • Valid South Carolina driver’s license, or if a non-driver, a South Carolina Identification card.

  • Vehicle registration(s) of all vehicles owned.

  • Non-citizens of the United States must provide a copy of their Visa, Permanent Resident Card, or other applicable immigration document.

Students seeking an exception to the twelve-month residency requirement must also submit one of the following:

  • Statement from the employer for whom in-state determination is based (full-time employees only).

    1. Verify full-time employment

    2. Specify number of hours worked per week

    3. State original date of employment in South Carolina

    4. Specify length of term of employment; if indefinite, state so. The statement must be on company letterhead; if the company does not have letterhead, the statement must be notarized.

  • Retired in South Carolina petitioners must provide documentation of retirement and receipt of retirement income received at a South Carolina address.

  • Military petitioners must provide a copy of their current active duty orders.

NOTE: Incomplete residency packets will not be considered. Additional documentation may be required at the discretion of the Residency Officer.

South Carolina Residency Law (PDF)
South Carolina Residency Regulations (PDF)

Out-of-County to In-County Requirements

To qualify for in-county tuition rates, the student must have been domiciled in Anderson, Oconee, or Pickens County continuously for at least twelve months immediately preceding the first day of class of the term for which resident classification is sought.

If your permanent address is changing to Anderson, Oconee, or Pickens County and you wish to be considered for in-county tuition, a copy of your lease agreement or closing document must be attached and submitted with the In-County Residency Petition.

Residency changes will be processed through the last day to add classes for Session A for the term in which the student is attempting to qualify for in-county tuition. Residency changes after this deadline will apply to the subsequent semester.

Residency Appeals

Any person, following a decision on his or her resident classification, may appeal the decision to the Tri-County Technical College’s residency appeals committee. This committee, however, is bound by the same laws and regulations as the Residency Officer, so its purpose is only to review the facts and details of any case and to evaluate the correctness of the decision made by the College’s Residency Officer. Neither the committee nor the Residency Officer may waive the provisions of the law or regulations.

Persons wishing to appeal a residency decision must provide a letter to the College’s Residency Officer (Ruby Hicks, First Floor, Pendleton Campus) stating the intention to appeal the decision. The letter must also include a summary of the person’s situation and a statement that specifies the residency provision under which the person feels he or she qualifies to pay in-state (or in-county) fees. The Residency Officer will then schedule a meeting of the appeals committee to hear the appeal.

Questions regarding residency status should be directed to Dr. April White Pugh or Lillian Hunter at 864-646-8282.