Tctc Vertical Top Nav Logo
Skip to Footer Section

SC Illegal Immigration Reform Act

The South Carolina Illegal Immigration Reform Act (S. C. Code Ann. §59-101-430 (Westlaw 2008)) prohibits those unlawfully present in the United States from attending a public institution of higher education in South Carolina and from receiving a public higher education benefit.

Tri-County Technical College verifies the citizenship or legal presence of all students. Any student providing false information related to citizenship or legal presence may be subject to dismissal from the college. Any student who is found to be unlawfully present in the United States will be dismissed from the college.

In addition to using the FAFSA, TCTC uses driver's license information provided on the Admissions application to verify citizenship or legal presence. If a student did not complete the FAFSA or provide complete driver's license information on the Admissions application, he/she will be required to complete a form and provide one of the following documents for verification purposes:

If you are a US citizen, you must also submit one of the following:

  • SC Driver's License or Identification Card issued after 1/1/2002
  • Valid Driver's License or Identification Card issued from any of the following states: Alaska, Arizona, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine (issued after 11/15/08), Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin
  • Valid U.S. Passport
  • Social Security Card and valid photo ID
  • Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (N-560 or N-561) and valid photo ID
  • Certification of Naturalization (N-550 or N-570) and valid photo ID

If you are a permanent resident, you must also submit one of the following:

  • Permanent Residence Card with photograph issued since 1997
  • Resident Alien Card (I-551) issued before 1997
  • Alien Registration Receipt Card with photograph (I-551) issued before June 1978
  • Letter from USCIS documenting that permanent residency has been approved

 If you are a valid visa holder, you must also submit the following:

  • Visa
  • I-94