Tctc Vertical Top Nav Logo
Skip to Footer Section

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

To continue receiving financial aid each semester you must maintain the following requirements:

  • Grade Point Average (GPA): Cumulative institutional GPA of 2.0 or higher.
  • Completion Rate: Students must successfully complete a minimum of 67% of all attempted hours including remedial and transfer credits (Passed vs. attempted credit hours).
  • Maximum Time Frame: Complete your degree/diploma/certificate within 150% of the required program hours of study. For example, if a student needs 60 credits to graduate from their program and the student has attempted 90 credits without graduating, that student will no longer be eligible for federal financial aid (60 x 1.5 = 90).

What does my SAP standing mean?

  • Good - Student is meeting all of the required standards for SAP: GPA, Completion Rate and Maximum Time Frame.
  • Warning - Student did not meet one or more of required standards at the end of a term.
  • Suspension - Student did not meet one or more of required standards after a term on warning status (2 consecutive terms of not meeting the SAP standards). Student aid is terminated for the next term of enrollment.

Note: Students who receive a failing grade in a class can repeat that class but it will affect the student's completion rate. The review committee considers the number of repeat classes when a student is submitting an appeal for loss of financial aid. Classes repeated to improve a passing grade may be repeated one (1) additional time only.

Students do have the option to appeal SAP suspension. To appeal the students must complete all steps listed on the SAP appeal form, found in your My Financial Aid tile in your student portal under the General Links section of the Home tab.


Steps to Submit a SAP Appeal

  • Access the SAP appeal form, found in your My Financial Aid tile in your student portal under the General Links section of the Home tab.
  • Provide your identifying information requested on the form and select what term you would like your financial aid reinstated.
  • Select the cause for appeal. Students can review their SAP status by logging into their TCTC portal,  My Financial Aid tile,  Satisfactory Academic Progress tab.
  • Select the reason(s) you did not meet the SAP standards. Check all that apply.

Step 1: Type a statement that describes, in detail, what happened each semester you were unsuccessful. This means any semester you received a F or withdrew from classes. It may be helpful to access your unofficial transcript (from the Academic Transcript tile in your TCTC portal) to view each semester. Also, describe what steps you have taken to ensure you are successful going forward. (In your statement, please be very specific about what happened and your plans for the future.)

Step 2: Provide documentation to support what you detailed in your statement. For example, if you referenced an illness you can provide medical records.

Step 3: Meet with an academic advisor to complete a graduation plan. This plan needs to start with your next semester of enrollment and go through the completion of your current degree. The degree plan must be posted on Degree Works by your advisor.

Once all of these steps are completed, you may submit your appeal for review.

Appeals typically take 5-10 business days to review. Outcomes are communicated by TCTC email.

  • Approved - Students will receive an approval letter with the conditions that must be met to receive financial aid. Students will need to sign and return a copy of the approval letter.
  • Appeal Denied - Student will not receive federal student aid until all 3 requirements are met.

Please refer to the Catalog for more information.


Dropping vs. Withdrawing from Classes

  • Drop Date: Students who drop a course by the published semester drop date will receive a refund of their tuition/fees and that course will be removed from their academic record.
  • Withdrawal Date: Students who withdraw from a course after the drop date will not receive a refund and will be financially responsible for the course. Students who withdraw will receive a grade of W on their academic record.

Withdrawing from a Class

A student may withdraw from a class online via the My Registration tile on the student portal after the drop period. A grade of “W” will be awarded for the withdrawn course(s). Any withdrawals can impact a student’s completion rate. The student is responsible for all transactions, including notification of the Financial Aid office, if financial aid, scholarships, or VA education benefits are being received.

Withdrawing from the College

All students officially withdrawing from the College must complete a "Withdraw from College" form available in TC Central. Students are required to meet with a Financial Aid Counselor prior to submitting the form to TC Central. Students leaving the college without completing the "Withdraw from College" form are considered unofficially withdrawn. Federal financial aid eligibility must be recalculated for students who withdraw (officially or unofficially), drop out, or are dismissed prior to completing 60% of a semester. Federal financial aid includes Pell grant, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), and Federal loans. Federal financial aid must be returned to the federal government based on the percent of unearned aid. 

  • If the student owes federal funds as a result of withdrawing from classes, they will not be able to use financial aid at any college, including TCTC, until the debt is paid.
  • A student who owes the College may not be permitted to register for a subsequent term or obtain an academic transcript until the debt is paid (Payment should be made to the Business Office).
  • If the student is enrolled in more than one session of classes (1st session B and 2nd session C) and withdraws from 1st session classes without seeing a Financial Aid Counselor their 2nd session classes will be dropped.

Contact the Financial Aid office at or 864-646-8282, option 1 prior to withdrawing from a class or the college to determine how financial aid will be impacted.

Be familiar with the college calendar to know when all drop and withdraw dates occur.